“Asian Blepharoplasty (Double Eyelid Surgery) is a highly specific form of upper blepharoplasty, adapted to each individual’s findings and demands the highest level of understanding, a focused mind and hand dexterity to achieve the proper result.”
Excerpt from 3rd edition of “Asian Blepharoplasty & the Eyelid Crease” textbook (WP Chen)
These are two comprehensive books on eye plastic surgery, both currently available.
Recently Published Papers on Double Eyelid Surgery
- “Visual, Physiological, and Aesthetic Factors and Pitfalls in Asian Blepharoplasty.” ( WPD Chen) Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Accepted for Publication; Oxford University Press (2016).
- “Upper Eyelid Crease Malposition, Correction and Treatment”. Chapter in
“Problems in Oculoplastic Surgery: A Repair Manual” (Foad Nahai, Editor; CRC Press. In press, 2016
- Chapter 10 on Asian Blepharoplasty: in Eyelid and Periocular Surgery, Second Edition (by Mark Codner and Clinton McCord MD; CRC Press. In press, 2016
- WPD Chen(Senior Author), in Chapter 26: Asian Blepharoplasty, with Jeff Janis MD, in “Essentials of Aesthetic Surgery”(Textbook) (CRC Press, 2016)
- “Asian Blepharoplasty” Chapter in Master Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Wayne F.Larrabee MD (Editors: James Ridgeway, Eugene Myers. Lippencott Williams & Wilkins)
- “What are my recommendations regarding Asian Blepharoplasty”: a chapter in Curbside Consultations in Oculoplastics: 49 Clinical Questions. Second Edition (Editors: Robert Kersten, Timothy McCulley. 2015 SLACK)
- WPD Chen : Book review in Aesth Surgery Journal: on “Clinics of Plastic Surgery (Jan.2015)”: Lower Lid and Midface: Multispecialty Approach. (Editors: Babak Azizzadeh, Guy Massry) 2015, Aesth Surg J.
- S Chang, WPD Chen, IC Cho,TJ Ahn: “Comprehensive Review of Asian Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Oculoplastic Surgery: Asian Blepharoplasty and the Like”. Arch Aesthetic Plast Surg 2014; 20(3):129-139.
- Chen WPD: Beveled Approach for Revisional Surgery in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.120(2):545-552, August 2007.
- Chen WPD: The Concept of a Glide Zone as It Relates to Upper Lid Crease, Lid Fold, and Application in Upper Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.119(1):379-386, January 2007.
- "Aesthetic Eyelid Surgery in Asians: An East-West View.” Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol.3, No.1. Pages 27-31. 2000
- Concept of Triangular,Trapezoidal,and Rectangular Debulking of Eyelid Tissues: Application in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plast.Reconstr.Surgery. Vol.97,No.1:212-218, Jan. 1996.
- Asian Blepharoplasty--Update on Anatomy and Technique. J. Ophthal. Plast. and Reconstr. Surg; Vol.3 (3):135-140,1987.
- A Comparision of Caucasian and Asian Blepharoplasty. Ophthalmic Practice, Vol.9 (5): 216-222,1991.
Books to which Dr.Chen has contributed chapters on Asian Blepharoplasty / double eyelid surgery techniques:
- "Asian Blepharoplasty", chapter in "The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles and Techniques"(Second Edition), Edited by Foad Nahai, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. ( 2011)
- "Asian Blepharoplasty:The Essential Steps", chapter in "Manual of Oculoplastic Surgery"(Fourth Edition). Editor: Levine MR; SLACK Publishing, 2010
- "Preoperative Preparation and Anesthesia", Chapter 8 in Pearls and Pitfalls in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery: Hartstien, Massry and Holds; Springer-Verlag, New York, 2009
- "Preoperative Patient Counseling for Cosmetic Blepharoplasty", Chapter 3 in Pearls and Pitfalls in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery: Hartstien, Massry and Holds; Springer-Verlag, New York, 2009
- "Upper Blepharoplasty in the Asian Patient",Chapter 9, Pages 105-114, in Putterman's Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, Fourth Edition. (Editor: Fagien S) Saunders/Elsevier. 2008
- "Asian Blepharoplasty", Chapter 10, in textbook of "Eyelid and Periorbital Surgery", in pages 317-330, Editors: McCord CD and Codner MA. Quality Medical Publishing,Inc. 2008
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty in the Asian Patient. Chapter 11, in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, pages 101-111, Third Edition, 2000. By Putterman AM; W.B. Saunders.
- Expert Commentary, for "Blepharoplasty and Blepharoptosis Surgery in Asians", Chapter 3, Pages 68-71. In “Unfavorable Results of Eyelid and Lacrimal Surgery," (Editor Mauriello J), Butterworth-Heinemann, 2000.
- Insights from a Series of Asian Blepharoplasty. Presented at the annual Scientific Symposium of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Atlanta Georgia, 1990.
Double Eyelid Surgery Instruction Courses given Nationally
- "Asian Blepharoplasty—State of the Art"-- Instruction Course to other Ophthalmologists at the Annual Meetings of the American Academy of Ophthalmology: 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014
- "Asian Blepharoplasty - Anatomy and Technique"-- Instruction Course to other Ophthalmologists,at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meetings:1988, 1989, 1990; 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005.
- Examiner,Oral Examination for Fellowship Program, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery--1989,90,91,92.
- Head Examiner-in-Charge, Oral Examination for Fellowship Program, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery--1993,94.
Invited Speaker and Visiting Professorship
2016 - Invited Speaker, ASOPRS, Spring Meeting: Asian Blepharoplasty and Epicanthoplasty
Feb 2012 - Invited Featured Speaker and Honorary Visiting Professor, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- “16th Advanced Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Workshop”.
- Featured Lecture: “Asian Blepharoplasty”, & Oculoplastic lectures on Upper and Lower eyelids, Reconstruction of Eyelid Defects, Lacrimal surgery, Ectropion and Entropion repair.
Feb 2005 - Visiting Professorship: Tung Wah Hospital Group, Hong Kong
- Sponsored by the Tung Wah Hospital Group, Hong Kong: Open Lecture On “Asian Eyelid Surgery: My Personal Views” (double eyelid crease procedure: primary and reoperations.)
- Given to the Hong Kong College of Ophthalmology, Hong Kong Ophthalmological Society, and Hong Kong College of Plastic Surgery and Plastic Surgery Board.
Apr 2003 - Visiting Professorship: Yongsei University Medical School, Seoul, South Korea
- Sponsored as Invited Featured Speaker for the “First International Symposium on Aesthetic Surgery for Asians” 2003 Seoul, Korea.
- Sponsored by Yonsei University Medical School, the Korean Aesthetic Surgery Society and the Korean Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Society; April 2003, Seoul, Korea.
- Specialized course on how to do double eyelid procedure via Asian Blepharoplasty.
- "Asian Blepharoplasty - Trapezoidal Debulking of Pre-aponeurotic Platform", and "Reoperative Surgery for Asian Blepharoplasty Patients"
Reviewer for Journals
Aesthetic Surgery Journal
American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Journal of American Association of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus